Monday, February 9, 2009

Warm Weather and A-Rod

So warm weather is finally here... if only for a couple of days. Being able to walk to class without a heavy jacket has certainly been nice,as is being able to go outside in shorts and to not get frost bite on my legs.

The big news of the day was Alex Rodriguez admitting to using steroids from 2001-2003. I have two opinions on this news. One is that it was not against the rules of baseball in 2003 when Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids. Although already frowned upon, it was not illegal. Let's say you are in a math class and it is looked down upon to cheat, yet not illegal (no ramifications in terms of getting in trouble), and you are having a trouble on a few answers. Since you want to do as well as you can, do you not believe that in this situation you would cheat? Maybe it is horrible to say, but I think if it was not ILLEGAL or against the rules, people would cheat in this situation, which is what Alex Rodriguez did. Going along with that, the test results were suppossed to remain anonymous, so for that I actually feel sorry for A-Rod, and I believe that he is being treatly incorrectly in this situation. (Note: I HATE the Yankees, and I am not an A-Rod fan, but what is fair is fair, and this is unfair.)

I said I had two notes to say about today's revelations. The second has to do with Ken Griffey Jr. I have always been a Griffey fan, and a Reds fan beyond that, so I feel I may be a little biased towards him. However, he has fantastic career numbers that are beyond worthiness of a Hall of Fame vote. He has never been arrested or linked to steroids; one of the most positive memebers of todays baseball community. Which leads me to a couple of points. One, if the hall of fame voters do not elect Griffey with a 100% vote (never happend before) then baseball as we know it is done. How someone like Tony Gwynn did not get 100%, I do not know (maybe egos or team alliances got in the way), but lets set that aside. Voters have shown how much they hate roids (see Mark McGwire not even getting 25%), so why not show that here is a guy, who, like A-Rod, Clemens, and Bonds, are clear-cut as they come in terms of the hall of fame. What is the difference? This guy has never done it! I would be beyond insulted and embarrassed for the game if he does not get 100% of the vote. My last point is this shows how special a player he really is, to put up the numbers he has through injuries and undoubtedly competing against guys (pitchers alike) who were using performance enhancers. Today makes me realize what it truly means to be great, and Ken Griffey Jr. defines what greatness is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment